Thursday, June 10, 2010

WARNING! Typeface Ranting To Come!

Hi ALL! Well if you don't know, I love from time to time to rant on and on about typefaces and there miss uses and over uses. Oh and for those of you that don't know the proper term it is in fact TYPEFACE not FONT.

Typeface-a set of characters of the same design. These characters include letters,
numbers, punctuation marks, and symbols.

Font-a specific size and style of a typeface. For example, Verdana is a typeface,
while Verdana 10 pt bold is a font.

There now you all know! I know, I know it difficult to make the change. But, I believe in you, I myself was plagued by this nasty misunderstanding. Moving on. Trajan. Although this typeface is agreeably a very nice one it has been abused like nobodies nasty business. Thanks to Ms. Goodrich she has delighted me once again with a hilarious video summing up and illustrating what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87QKdOJNv8

Even if your not a graphic designer you've seen a movie and I guarantee you've seen at least one of those movies. You have to admit it was pretty hilarious and if not maybe enlightening. My favorite part "maybe have a little fling with Comic Sans...Just be sure to trash it in the morning." and the floating heads, honestly...just as bad as the abuse of poor poor Trajan. Seriously, just go to the video store and laugh at it all.

Oh and speaking of Comic Sans. STOP USING IT! FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GOOD AND PURE IN THIS WORLD PLEASE STOP USING IT! (side note: I LOOOVE using capital letters, sorry to all you haters). Comic Sans is the poop stain in all the other typefaces underpants.Even Lucinda Handwritting has its moments and those moments are rare indeed. But Comic Sans COME ON! Let go believe me your font book is full of glory and wonderment. Have a little fling with Century Gothic or Franklin Gothic Medium or Demi. If you think I'm being overly absurd check out this clip from 20/20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RqdZCo6vkI

Ok, John Stossel you were kind of an ass but you did enlighten the world about Comic Sans and to the design world you are truly a savior. And FYI Peretz Rosenbaum is Paul Rands given name.

I hope I have enlightened you a little today even if it was somewhat ridiculous, its what I'm passionate about and from time to time a girl needs a good rant. Anyway I guess if you've endured this, which I hope you didn't have to and you actually enjoyed it a little, then you deserve some pretty, so here you are.








This is a little something something from Mr. Paul Rand.

And here is a little something something from yours truly. This was recently done for a friend the glorious and ever lovely Ms. Nicole Turner. Look at the Century Gothic WONDERFUL (the small type at the bottom) JAZZ HANDS JAZZ HANDS!

2 comments:

  1. Heather, how do you feel about Calibri "typeface"? I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CALIBRI is amazing! Although, I did like Times New Roman for Microsoft's default I did think that it was time for a change and Calibri was an excellent choice. David Ogilvy said that you should always present your copy using the typeface that is most commonly read. During the past century that was serif typefaces like Times New Roman. But now that everyone is on the internet and most of our news and entertainment is all online, where we all know the san serif rules its a smart change to switch to Calibri a nice clean san serif. Also, if you like Calibri you should try out a couple of my other favorites, Century Gothic or Franklin Gothic Book or Demi there great san serifs.

    ReplyDelete